DevOps security and how MSP can make DevOps transformation safe?
DevOps is a very popular approach to software development. There are a lot of companies that choose DevOps transformation as the main idea of increasing the efficiency of the company. But still, a lot of teams are afraid of such changes because of security issues. To avoid risks you should refer to a reliable Managed Service Provider (MSP) like IT Svit. We decided to write an article about common steps of DevOps transformation for a better understanding of security issues and other features.
Steps of DevOps transformation
- Assessment. The very first step is the assessment of the current infrastructure. To understand the next actions, the DevOps team should find out how the system works, what tools are used and what bottlenecks exist.
- Redesigning the infrastructure. It is not a necessary step but sometimes it is better to totally redesign the current infrastructure than try to change something and remove the bottlenecks.
- Cloud migration if needed. There are a lot of fears about security because companies are afraid of losing data on this step. Also, some companies think the data will be less safe in the cloud and somebody would steal them. However, an in-depth assessment and removing bottlenecks help prepare the infrastructure for cloud migration. Also, the DevOps methodology uses data encryption and secure different levels of access to the cloud. Sometimes DevOps transformation can be provided without cloud migration but this is an exception.
- IaC, CI/CD and other automation processes. At this step, the DevOps team provides different automation tools and technologies. For example, Infrastructure as Code allows making the testing environment in advance and adding to it a special manifest. This is a textual file written in a descriptive language where a developer or Quality Assurance engineer can change the settings and get a new version of the environment for testing. It saves a lot of time for the whole team. Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery approaches allow smooth and seamless delivery of the product to the end-users.
- Work with teams. After the automation ends, the DevOps team works with your inner development teams to teach them to use new tools and processes. DevOps approach is not only about powerful tools, but it is also about team cohesiveness and mutual respect between team members.
- Maintenance. When all things are done, the DevOps team can maintain the project or you can train somebody from your team to do it. Automated systems are often self-healed. It means if something goes wrong, the system restarts and logs the issue. If it’s something important, you can solve it, if no, just ignore it. At this step, the DevOps engineer also manages current infrastructure and improves it by finding and removing bottlenecks.
These are just common steps but you can see how complicated can theDevOps transformation be. DevOps team checks the safety of the system at every step, so your data will be safe and sound.
Conclusion: DevOps transformation is safe in reliable hands
Every change can hurt the business but the right approach allows us to avoid risks. Talking about DevOps implementation, the best idea is referring to experienced MSP for providing DevOps services. It will help you make DevOps transformation pretty fast, safe and without downtimes.
As a result, the efficiency of your processes will significantly increase and you’ll become more competitive on the market. DevOps transformation needs some investments and time but the result is great.